Bad Axe Lutheran Church was organized in 1869. The congregation was primarily made up of Norwegians who settled in the area. The church building was erected in 1874, overlooking the Bad Axe River near Purdy. It has been updated and renovated several times to meet the needs of a growing congregation. The congregation at first belonged to the Norwegian Synod, and services were held in the Norwegian language until about 1930.
From the beginning, Bad Axe was one congregation of a three-point parish, and was part of a merger that formed the American Lutheran Church. In 1984 the congregation voted to terminate its membership in the ALC, and become an independent congregation. Their desire was to continue to uphold, teach and live by the principles of the Bible, the inerrant and infallible Word of God.
This continues to be our only foundation for what we believe and how we are to live. Since that time, God has graciously blessed our congregation in every way, and given us the privilege to provide a place of fellowship for all ages. God has also given us opportunities to share the life-giving Gospel of Jesus Christ both here and around the world. We want to be found faithful until Jesus returns! We invite others to join us in proclaiming the good news that Jesus saves!